Friday, January 29, 2010

Yoga and body image

I've taken yoga classes off and on at my gym, and recently had more time and started going more often. Now/this time, it has felt really amazing - so much so that I've started going to some basic beginner's classes at a studio. It may partly just be a matter of coming to yoga at a time that is right for me, but whatever the reason, I'll take it!

For me, I've had different issues in my life, but probably the most important is that I was very overweight as a child and have had some pretty negative attitudes toward my body. I've lost weight and work out regularly - I'm not overweight anymore, but even so, up to now almost anything I did in relation to my body was to try and change it. I don't go to yoga with the idea that I'll lose weight or get more fit - I just enjoy it.

And just to mention this to any teachers reading - another thing that I think has made a difference is one particular teacher who creates a nice atmosphere - yes, at the gym - and makes some small/light adjustment on almost everyone (not the same adjustment, but just something). Growing up overweight has made me very sensitive to whether I feel like I fit in/stand out, belong/don't belong, etc. and in some way in relation to that, this teacher's way just really helps me. .

I guess I don't have a specific question, but I would love to hear others' experiences starting yoga under similar circumstances - or teachers who have had students with this issue.




I guess teachers probably know this, but just to say - the way you teach a class really can impact people in a positive way even if you don't know it in that particular case - I'm not super thin but people would have no way of knowing by looking at me that I used to be overweight, even though this has probably been one of the biggest factors shaping my fairly negative body image.

No comments:

Post a Comment